You may not wear sky-high Manolo Blahniks like Carrie Bradshaw and you may not swing a Chanel handbag around like Charlotte, but chances are if you're a city girl you have something in common with the "Sex In the City" fashion divas, now appearing on the big screen. And when it comes to summertime in the city, the style factor really heats up.
If you're a career girl, how do you stay cool like Miranda? Or bold and beautiful like Samantha? Take a few tips from these four urban trendsetters and then maybe tone it down, just a bit.
- Lighten up. We can all take a hint from Miranda who manages to look polished with a fashion edge. Her Maggy London outfit is the essential wear-to-work dress for summer in a trendy geometric print and glammed up with metallic accessories.
- Stilettos with jeans? If you've got the legs and you're gellin' with Dr. Scholls, go for the Carrie Bradshaw look only if you work in a very creative work environment. Otherwise, stick to mid-heels with open toes or wedges that will give you a lift, but still look more professional with dresses or pants.
- Express yourself. It is true that the sexy quartet of city girls have many stylists and wardrobe changes (over 300 in the movie) to give them ideas, but we can all cut loose in the summer and have some fun.
Pin a flower on your jacket. Wear a shorter cardigan over your silk blouse. Layer tanks in several colors. Tie your hair back with an artsy scarf. Top your suit off with a big-brimmed hat. And don't forget to slip on a pair of oversized sunglasses a la Samantha.
- Mix the expensive with cheap chic finds. Carrie is the best one of the foursome at this particular talent: Her flea market flair is often carried to the extreme, but she always stands out in the urban fashionscape. Take a tip and make a few trips to vintage stores to check out unique items that you can mix with other items in your wardrobe. You'll definitely give your old summer basics a new lease on life.
- Make it colorful. Whether it's a sundress blooming with hothouse florals or a jacket in taxicab yellow, summer is the perfect time to put some bold color in both your casual and professional wardrobe. Those warm-weather "power" suits don't have to be stuffy. Liven them up with colorful cardigans for a softer, sexier take on the menswear trend.
- Most important summer-in-the-city tip? Have fun. If you tend to be more of a preppy Charlotte who can't be without her designer handbags, then go for a more flirty look. Pick up a straw bag, head for the beach and leave the pearls at home.
Sharon Mosley is a former fashion editor of the Arkansas Gazette in Little Rock and executive director of the Fashion Editors and Reporters Association.